Saturday 9 January 2010

Words

Plagiarism
–noun
1. the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.
2. something used and represented in this manner.
1621, from L. plagiarius "kidnapper, seducer, plunderer," used in the sense of "literary thief" by Martial, from plagium "kidnapping," from plaga "snare, net," from PIE base *p(e)lag- "flat, spread out." Plagiary is attested from 1597.

(Dictionary.com- I don't actually own a real dictionary)

So thinking about it 10 Weeks of Plagiarism probably isn't a great name for this blog. Yes to the unauthorised use and close imitation of someone elses work but I'm not trying to pass anything off as my own original work. I'm all about credit where credit's due. And today credit goes to Chrissy Williams for improving my vocabulary with a new exciting word everyday. I'm yet to use pigsney in a sentence but I'm glad I know it exists.

So today, in the spirit of Ms Williams, here is a new word.

Defenestration
–noun
the act of throwing a thing or esp. a person out of a window: the defenestration of the commissioners at Prague.

Origin:
1610–20; de- + L fenestr(a) window + -ation

(again credit to dictionary.com)

I just love that there is an actual word for this. My challenge for the week is to use this in a sentence- this may be quite hard without resorting to actually throwing a person out of a window just so I can describe it but I'm going to give it a go. Who's with me?

2 comments:

  1. 'Defenestration' is a cool word indeed.

    I'd take up the challenge, but it's too cold to risk opening any windows...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first learned this one in history - believe it or not Prague had two of them (incidents when people were thrown out of windows) that set off key events in its history - see here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague

    ReplyDelete