Saturday 30 January 2010

Facebook Cull

So it's the end of love week and it's been fun. I've really enjoyed keeping up with everyones great efforts on twitter and over at the 100 days blog. It also pushed me into plagiarising one of the project I love most- Lina's 100 love stories. And the absolutely best bit about that was sitting down with the wonderful Gaby and Flavia to hear their story. I've known them for three years but had never asked how they met- it was lovely to find out.

But love week is no more. So what better way to celebrate by axeing some of my facebook 'friends'? Following Jason Graham's example have carried out a Facebook Cull.

Now there is nothing I like more than facebook stalking. I am hugely nosy and I love to know who from school is single, who turned out to be gay, who has been on holiday where etc. etc. I love knowing random details about people's lives even when I would no longer speak to them in person. And actually having lots of facebook friends has been very useful- when I moved down to London I messaged anyone on my list who was living there for advice on where to live and got some very useful tips from people I hadn't spoken to in over five years. And it was lovely to reconnect with them breifly. There are however people I'm friends with on there that I will never speak to again and I really don't care about enough to wan't to know anything about their lives. It's time for a clearout.

I got rid of 11 people today, 3 from a festival I worked at over a year ago, 3 old school friends I actually can't even remember, an ex-boyfriend of my sister, 2 guys I met once while on a night out in Barcelona and Andy. I will tell you about Andy using Jason's Facebook Cull formula.

HOW DO I KNOW THEM:
I replied to Andy's dating post on Gumtree last year. I was new to Edinburgh, working in an office with about 5 men, none of whom were single and living with my sister and so not going out and meeting new people. I decided to have a look at internet dating and Andy's post seemed pretty normal and interesting.

WHY ARE THEY MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK:
After a few emails back and forth I added Andy as a friend so I could see what he looked like and check that he wasn't a freak.

WHY AM I DELETING THEM:
After checking out his photos and some facebook messaging back and forth Andy seemed like a pretty cool guy. I suggested maybe we should meet up in person and he agreed and asked if I wanted to see a film at the Edinburgh Film Festival. I suggested we go and see Rudo y Cursi. I never heard from him again. Ever. I guess he really must hate Mexican cinema.

I should have deleted Andy within a month of him ignoring me. I kept him as a friend though as I didn't know many people in Edinburgh and wanted to promote my Christmas Book Tree to as many Edinburgh folk as possible. He never joined the group though and this deletion is way overdue.

HOW DOES THIS DELETION MAKE ME A BETTER PERSON:
I feel better for doing something I should have done a long time ago. This will stop me wondering what might have been every time his status comes up on my wall (answer: We would prob have gone on one date and never seen each other again). Also I live in London now and am very happy- I don't need reminders of Edinburgh based failings.

STATUS AT DELETION:
No Status

ANY HESITATION:
Nope, Should have been done this months ago

FINAL WORDS:
Mmmm Gael Garcia Bernal

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! And in Jason Graham style as well. I've definitely thought about 'touring' the Cull - I think your plagiarism will push me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. colour me tickled pink! lol

    ReplyDelete